Ep 015: Part 2 of Book Review, How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Welcome to part 2 of this Book Review of How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie. This is the book of all books on being Social. It was one of the books that started the self-help book industry. Dale Carnegie lived 1888-1955. In the book, Dale Carnegie organizes his advice into three categories:
Win people to your way of thinking
- Show respect for the other person’s opinions. Never say, “you’re wrong.”
- If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
- Begin in a friendly way.
- Get the other person saying “yes, yes” immediately.
- Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
- Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.
- Try honestly to see things from the other person’s point of view.
- Be sympathetic to the other person’s ideas and desires.
- Appeal to the nobler motives.
- Dramatize your ideas.
Be a leader
- Throw down a challenge.
- Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
- Call attention to people’s mistakes indirectly.
- Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
- Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
- Let the other person save face.
- Praise the slightest and every improvement. Be “lavish in your praise.”
- Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
- Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
- Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.
(All book links are Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting us by using our affiliate links to buy books.)
Leave us a review on iTunes here. Your reviews encourage us to create more content.